Friday, February 25, 2011

Mixed Bag

Where is tasty foods?
Due to the increasing piles of snow outside my door, I have been spending a lot of time snowed in lately. I baked some chocolate chip cookies, and I think I've worked out how to get them to come out soft and a little gooey rather than rock hard and crispy (take them out before they're actually done cooking). I've also been using the recipe from my previous blog entry  to make all the vegetables in my freezer creamy. Well, not all of them yet, but I'm sure I'll get there. So far I have made creamed broccoli and creamed corn. The corn was not quite as delicious as the broccoli, which reminded me of cream of broccoli soup, but thicker and more broccoli-tasting.

 I am also once again cleaning out my cupboards, and so far I have managed to polish off the makings for burritos and quesadillas, marinara sauce, pasta, and Parmesan cheese (in that order), and a can of chicken noodle soup that I added peas and corn to for more substance, and that had enough sodium to last me the next two weeks. (Gag.)

The one addition I have made to the larder was on the recommendation of this new chiropractor I am seeing. He suggested that I should eat a lot of protein for breakfast rather than grains. (My typical breakfast is a bowl of cereal and tea, though sometimes I make oatmeal or pancakes when I am willing to spend more time.) He cautioned against breakfast meats, however, since they tend to be greasy and not very healthy, which suits me fine since I've given up buying meat.

So, taking my inspiration from the Scandinavians and their open-faced sandwiches, I went to the grocery store and picked up a bag of everything bagels because they are both tasty and have a surprising 8 grams of protein per bagel. But I didn't stop there. For my first high in protein breakfast, I fried two eggs over hard (in cooking spray which has next to no nutritional value), then topped them with 1/8 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese each. When the cheese was melted, I slid an egg on top of each half of the bagel. Total, this was about 21 grams of protein, and I wasn't hungry again until dinner time!

The following day I made just half a bagel and one egg and still stayed full for quite a few hours. This morning I decided I needed more options (tasty as this sandwich was, I'm running out of eggs and I have more cookies to bake), so I looked at my high fiber cereal, which also happens to be high in protein. Then I pulled down all the ingredients for the oatmeal I've been assembling, and between the quick-cook oats and walnut baking pieces, there is another high protein concoction. Of course, both the cereal and the oatmeal are high grains, but I hate wasting food, so until I can get to the store to discern more options, they should fulfill the high protein requirement quite well if I prepare them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment