Thursday, February 3, 2011

Vær så god!

While making a shopping list for Scandinavian recipes, I came across a dish that I had all the ingredients for on hand: rommegrøt. I am willing to bet there are as many ways to prepare rommegrøt as there are people of Scandinavian descent in the world, but the extremely basic ingredients are butter, flour, whole milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Rommegrøt is a traditional Norwegian dessert meaning, as far as I can tell, “sour cream porridge.” There are many, many pages devoted to making this dish, but I found this one to be the most helpful.

I did not have sour cream on hand, but I did have whole milk leftover from when I made my own paneer. Sorry, purists, but this was literally a spur of the moment dish, and I think it still turned out friggin' delicious. Maybe one day I can make it more properly (or better yet, have someone who knows what they're doing prepare it for me).

Because the recipes I found are somewhat slapdash, I will tell you step-by-step what I did. Remember, this is all what I had on hand; no prep work or trips to the grocery.

  1. Melted a ½ cup stick of butter in a medium-size pot over medium-low heat.
  2. Added ¼ cup 100% white whole wheat flour to the pot.
  3. Whisked the flour in with the melted butter.
  4. Added another ¼ cup of flour.
  5. Whisked that in as well.
  6. Debated on whether or not to add more flour.
  7. Ended up adding half of a ¼ cup of flour, saving the other half in case I needed it.
  8. Didn't think I needed it, so added one cup of whole milk to the butter-flour mixture.
  9. Whisked that thoroughly before adding another cup of whole milk.
  10. Decided I perhaps needed that half a ¼ cup of flour after all and whisked all together very thoroughly.
  11. Continued to whisk mixture over medium-low heat until it thickened to the consistency of pudding.
  12. Added half a cup of sugar.
  13. Whisked in sugar thoroughly before adding dashes of cinnamon.
  14. Turned off heat,and allowed mixture to cool before pouring into a small cup.
  15. Sprinkled cinnamon on top, then dropped on a few raisins.

Et voilà! Dessert. Quite simple and extraordinarily tasty. If I had to compare it to something more familiar, I'd say it resembles rice pudding, but mostly due to the cinnamon and raisin ornamentation. Rommegrøt is extremely creamy and rich, so serve in small dishes and be careful not to overdo it. This dish is often served after Christmas dinner, making it a wonderful winter treat. Rommegrøt is usually served with butter drizzled on top, but I have to admit that is not really my thing, so I left it off. Brown sugar is another topping choice that does sound delicious, as well as cream.

Well, now that dessert is out of the way, perhaps I should get started on dinner! I came across an interesting recipe for Swedish Meatless Balls that I am anxious to try out. Be sure to look for that in a future blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment