Monday, February 14, 2011

What Does A Danish Pirate Say?

I've been working a lot of hours lately, and a dear friend visited me on Saturday and Sunday, so I haven't had as much time as previously to explore new and different recipes. So on Sunday evening, I searched the internet for something quick and easy that didn't require me to go to the store. I had already been once that day and didn't really want to venture out again.

Here is what I came up with: Rum Soup. Because who doesn't have rum lying around the kitchen? (Crazy people.)

Okay, I fully admit this sounded pretty terrible to even a solid rum drinker like myself, and I strongly hesitated to attempt it. However, it allowed me to accomplish two things: first, finish off the whole milk that was starting to go bad in my fridge, and second, put the bottle of spiced rum to use that I've had since Talk Like A Pirate Day (September 19th). And really, how could I truly resist something called “Rum Soup”? (Though I've already turned away bread and beer porridge; you can see where my loyalties lie.)

This is possibly the quickest and easiest recipe I have ever made. Even more than burritos! Since I didn't have any zweiback to accompany the rum soup, I made toast (without butter or anything on it), and I must admit... THIS WAS REALLY TASTY! If you don't like rum (or milk), then you probably won't enjoy rum soup. But if you are a fellow admirer of fermented molasses, do yourself a favor and give this a try. You may not end up agreeing with me, but at least you'll have tried something unique.

I don't know if I was supposed to, but I dipped the toast in the soup, which is what decided for me that this dish is delicious. It's also surprisingly filling! But I did have over a cup of mostly whole milk with two pieces of toast, so perhaps this is not really all that surprising. (Since I ran out of whole milk, I had to do half whole milk and half sweetened rice milk. I also cut the recipe in half because 2 quarts of milk is a lot of milk!!)

I tried researching this recipe online, but all I found was the page that I linked to above, which claims it is from Denmark. I have to say, the Scandinavian people sure do like their milk and booze! And there is a plethora of soup varieties from vegetable to fruit to none of the above. I'd like to try a fruit soup next, since I don't believe I have ever had such a thing, though it might be better to wait until the warmer months when I can obtain fresh fruit, like cherries, straight from the farms. I do have a bag of yummy apples on my counter, however, so don't be surprised if apple makes an appearance before February is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment