Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blender Fail


So I found this recipe for corn pudding and thought to myself, “Hey, that looks easy! I bet I can make that.” But things rarely go according to plan in my kitchen. For starters, I did not want to buy ears of corn since I had multiple packages of the sweetest corn I have ever tasted in my freezer. A quick look at Answers.com told me that one medium ear of corn is equal to about ¾ cup of kernels. When I put the frozen corn and milk in the blender, however, they would not blend. (Guess I should invest in a Blendtec.) In fact, the milk just froze.

But I never give up that easily. Not when food could potentially be wasted! I transferred the milk and corn slushy to a pot and set the burner to medium. Even if I did have a vegetable masher, I wouldn't be able to easily remove the “fibrous parts” so I abandoned that part completely. Adding sugar and butter, I let the mixture continue to boil until the liquid boiled down. Then I pulled a heavy drinking glass from the cupboard and commences mashing the corn to the best of my ability. It didn't turn it into pudding, but it did add a creamier texture, so I can see where this would work as a pudding if I could only remove to “fibrous parts.”

After tiring myself out mashing and sweating profusely form the steam, I turned off the burner and let the pot of sweet corn mash to sit and cool. I decided to let it sit in the fridge overnight as my hands turned to other tasks.

When I dished out a small bowl the next day and dashed on cinnamon, I was surprised at how sweet and tasty the concoction turned out to be. I wasn't sure how corn pudding would taste, but the answer is delicious! Naturally, it would be better if this were actually pudding and not pudding-laced kernels of corn, but I get the idea of the flavor. It's definitely something I would like to try with a decent blender in the future. I can see this as a very refreshing late summer or fall dish, mayhaps when I can procure some fresh corn from the farmer's market.

1 comment:

  1. Did I tell you. I clicked on your ad. It a place I buy my vits from all the time. Did I tell you. I have been ban from google adsen. Yeah, I have to reapeal. I never got any clicks. I may never be able to ever, ever, use adsence again, It was on my blog. I read googles crazy rules. You have to get on my blog with me and maybe hel me make sense of crazy google coporate.

    ReplyDelete