Friday, March 18, 2011

For Your Viewing Pleasure

I came down with a horrible flu this past Monday, hence the late posts. I just went back to work yesterday, and let me tell you, is it ever difficult to work around food for eight hours with an upset stomach! I actually know a cashier who got sick all over a customer's groceries once. Not pretty, folks. Not pretty at all.

So, since I have been sick, I have not been cooking. (Unless you include burning toast in the toaster oven in the "cooking" category.) I have, however, been watching a lot of Netflix. Strangely enough, I've been watching food documentaries. Three in particular: Food, Inc., Super Size Me, and Fat Head.

Food, Inc. was great! It introduced to me Monsanto and how they're viciously attacking farmers and forcing many out of business, as well as what a GMO really is (genetically modified to absorb more pesticides, which we then ingest - yay, poison! delicious), and that the fast food industry has determined the quality of the food we buy from the supermarket. I was disgusted! I am more determined than ever to buy my food from the local farmers market as soon as spring arrives and brings with it a wider selection. (Right now, there's really just a lot of bread.)

I mostly watched Super Size Me because Fat Head  is a response film. I do feel like a learned some things, though. For example, our school systems generally sell the most disgusting, unhealthy lunches to our children and completely turn a blind eye. The girl who just bought a bag of chips, some cookies, and a Coke obviously brought her own lunch from home or is sharing with a friend. That's not her entire lunch, right? Wrong! If we feed our kids healthy, balanced lunches, not only will they be healthier, but their behavior will be better and their concentration will be improved. Maybe we can cut down on the ADD meds, eh? But no. Americans would rather pump their kids full of chemicals and sedate the problem rather than correct it. It's the American way! Right? (Gross.)

Fat Head was another winner. I learned a TON from this movie about the importance of protein and the real danger of a carbolicious diet. I always knew carbs are bad for us, but now I understand just why they are so bad and why I, in particular, should really be avoiding them. I also have officially given up my feeble attempt at vegetarianism. Though honestly, I didn't eat much meat before, and I don't anticipate that changing. I just went back to buying turkey bacon for breakfast to get a nice protein kick start, and will think about buying a chicken or turkey from the farmers market once I finally get around to cooking up the few breasts in the freezer that my mother gave me weeks ago.

I find that eating turkey bacon and eggs in the morning has given me a little more energy. (I'm still not a morning person.) I also stay fuller longer than with cereal, even the high fiber, high protein cereal that I was eating before. In Fat Head, he says that eating grains in the morning is about the same as eating sugar, even the kind just mentioned, which the body burns through quickly. I've pretty much always known that protein is a superior form of energy, I'm just trying to give that more consideration now with this new information behind it.

I watched all of these films streaming on Netflix. I know that Fat Head is making the rounds because I've heard the name thrown around both at work and seen it pop up on Facebook by totally separate groups of people, but it probably helps a little to have previously viewed Super Size Me, and everyone should TOTALLY check out Food, Inc. Consumers can make a difference - we are not powerless. All three films agree that the food industry is this way because it was responding to what we, the consumers, demanded. Cheaper, faster, more bang for your buck meals, and that is precisely what we got. Now we suffer for it.

Just some food for thought. Hoping I'll be back on track next week. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment