Thursday, April 7, 2011

Scrumptious Scrounging

I woke up this morning to a beautiful April shower. (I don't think we'll need to wait until May for the flowers, though!) And since my phone died during the night and my alarm didn't go off, I felt wonderfully rested. The perfect way to start the day and think about cooking!

There was an open bag of California style mixed vegetables in my fridge that I thought should probably be cooked since I failed to put anything on the bag to keep it closed and safe from freezer burn – oops! So I pulled out the bag and my brand new liter of olive oil then decided on spices. I kept it simple with garlic powder and dried parsley flakes. (Dried parsley flakes are awesome. I add them to vegetables and pasta all the time now.)

As I was about to grab the bag of pasta on the counter, I remembered that I had left some chicken breasts drowning in barbecue sauce in my fridge overnight. My mother had given me the chicken months ago because she said that she wouldn't eat it and was going to throw it away, so I rescued it from her freezer. Unfortunately, that meant they got to languish in my freezer, and I decided yesterday that they were starting to look a little too frozen and needed to be eaten pronto.

While the chicken was baking and the vegetables simmering away in their herbaceous olive oil bath, I thought that even with the chicken, I probably needed more saturated fat in this meal, so I added a tablespoon of butter. I discovered on a previous recipe, though I completely forget which one, that butter and olive oil are an awesome combination, especially in a ménage à trois with parsley.

Before you get all huffy about adding saturated fat, I've been seeing and reading a lot of convincing studies about how the cutting of fat from our diet the past hundred-ish years has actually caused us to get fatter. You can easily research this yourself, but here is an article to get you started. And this one over here, Dangers of Vegetarian & Vegan Diets Long-Term, stresses the importance of eating butter in order to replace the vital nutrients we can only obtain from eating animals in order to stay healthy. Since chicken is naturally low in saturated fat, I added a little butter.

I've decided that my new diet is going to consist of almost entirely natural foods. Obviously I don't have as much control over the food I eat outside of my own kitchen, and I do occasionally get massive cravings for pizza rolls, though I want to try to make them myself from scratch. I might look into canning my own vegetables so that I can buy them fresh from the farmers market and still have good veggies over the winter. And of course, since my next apartment will have a private patio, I want to have a little flower pot garden so I can grow my own tomatoes and probably parsley!

I wonder how Ann Arbor feels about backyard chickens. I don't recall anything against them in my lease.

No comments:

Post a Comment