Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thin the Herd

So hard not to make a Bambi reference.
Some friends of mine were incredibly generous upon my return to Michigan and gave Kimmy and me some ground venison from a deer the husband got last season. I've only had venison a few times in my life, first in the form of venison stew bread bowl (amazingly delicious) and then from the same friends who made spaghetti with venison tomato sauce. It was wonderful! I don't like ground beef because it's usually too greasy for me (I have the same complaint for many pig products). Venison does not have that problem.

I still had some lasagna noodles in the cupboard from the box of gluten products that LaRissa gave me when we made the gluten free paczki, so that just left picking up a tub of ricotta and mozzarella from the store. (I also had some pasta sauce and eggs hanging around in the fridge, as well as parsley flakes in my spice cabinet.)

I followed the directions on the back of the noodle box, but unfortunately, the top layer of noodles ended up a tad crunchy. (Huge sigh.) The lasagna also ended up a little dry. I wonder if it may have been left in the oven too long. One thing is for sure, there is plenty leftover! I think this may feed us for a good chunk of the rest of the week. 

To help round out the meal, I made those awesome green beans from this made up recipe, but I totally forgot to add the cumin this time. (Doh!) It was still quite tasty, but next time, I really need to remember the cumin. I have so few occasions to add it to things! But that was the last of the frozen green beans, so for the leftover lasagna, I will have to come up with a new vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment