Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Impromptu Chicken Strips

I am once again at that point where I need to clean out what's in my cupboards before I go grocery shopping. Still leftover from the box of gluten products that LaRissa gave me are two canisters of Italian bread crumbs. I really wasn't sure what to do with them until my friend Rachel made a brilliant suggestion: chicken strips!

I had never made chicken strips before, but I do have a recipe for battered portobello mushrooms that I thought would lend itself to battering and pan-frying anything else, so I pulled it out and looked it over. After cracking an egg in one bowl and whisking it, in another bowl, I combined half a cup of bread crumbs with one quarter cup of  grated Parmesan cheese, then threw in dashes of salt and pepper and as much dried onion bits as I could before I got bored fighting with them (not long).

Unfortunately, I had to thaw the chicken in the microwave before I could slice it into strips, which made it a bit rubbery around the edges. (Anyone who says they can cook chicken in a microwave is wrong.) But after smothering them in egg, then the breadcrumb mixture, and frying them in a pan of olive oil, they were quite juicy and delicious! 

Since I cooked the chicken in olive oil, I didn't want to do the same to the vegetables, so for a side, I made steamed broccoli (also in the microwave because I needed it to be quick). A couple nights later, I made chicken strips again, though I forgot the Parmesan cheese, which I think we're out of anyway, and Kimmy made Zatarain's dirty rice with cheese and added broccoli as the side. The spice from the rice complemented the chicken all right, but the cheese was a bit too obviously from a powder and not nearly creamy enough. If we make that again, I'd add milk in hopes of softening it.

I'm sorry I don't have pictures this time. I guess I was just too distracted by dancing around to the Marc Anthony CD that was playing in the DVD player. (I really need a real stereo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment