Thursday, June 30, 2011

Struck Gold

Working at a grocery store, I get to hear about a lot of different recipes. I also enjoy finding people's lost shopping lists and imagining the kinds of dishes they could make with the items listed, and sometimes a complete recipe. In this case, I found an abandoned recipe for something called "Corn Casserole," and it sounded delicious.

We didn't carry all of the ingredients I needed at our store, so I headed over to Meijer to pick up the rest. All together, the recipe called for:

1 can of corn (I used a bag of frozen corn instead because it was all iced over in my freezer)
1 can of creamed corn
1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup of sour cream
1 stick of butter
Shredded cheddar cheese

My roommate Kimmy is actually familiar with corn casserole, and assured me that it is delicious. So one evening when she was making shredded chicken tacos (which were amazing by themselves), I made the corn casserole as a side dish/dessert. 

The first complication was the frozen corn was frozen as hell! (The Buddhist kind of hell. The one that's frozen.) I've had complications in the past with frozen corn freezing the milk product to which I was adding it, so I was a little worried about getting ice chunks in the sour cream, but constant stirring seemed to prevent it. And maybe sour cream doesn't freeze as easily as milk does, in which case, yay!

After that, it was pretty smooth sailing. I dumped a crap ton of shredded cheese on top for the final 15 minutes of baking (an hour all together at 350 degrees in a 9x9 casserole dish), and it was delicious! It didn't seem entirely cooked to me - a little pudding-like - but Kimmy assured me that was fine and tasted great. 

So is this a recipe that I would try again? In a heart beat! Mystery recipes found at work for the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment