Thursday, July 28, 2011

Italian Ranch Chicken

Looking through my recipe collections a few weeks ago, I found a few old favorites and some that I never got around to trying out. I made a shopping list and picked up ingredients for both. The first new recipe that I decided to try was Oven Ranch Chicken. I honestly don't remember where I found this recipe, but after searching for it online, I found the above linked, so I am guessing I copied it down from the back of a bread crumb box (though not the one pictured here; that has another recipe on it). 

The two major substitutions I made (who follows recipes to the letter these days?) were dark meat for chicken breasts because we used the bag of chicken breasts up before I got around to making this recipe, and Italian bread crumbs for regular breadcrumbs, which I feel was a most excellent replacement with just enough added flavor so as to not ruin the yummy ranchness of the ranch dressing packet. Also, unlike the one that I linked to, my recipe didn't call for buttermilk ranch, which I don't much care for anyway, nor did I use light sour cream because it uses sugar to replace the fat, a huge health no-no. 

Other than my MO substitutions, this recipe went off without a hitch. I thawed the chicken in the microwave, rendering it more malleable for smothering in sour cream and then seasoning mix, and baked it for 35 minutes, which was probably a little too much, actually, though these pieces of chicken were a bit thinner than the chicken breasts were, which may explain the lesser time required.

Since I had the day off, I decided to start this meal with a small romaine lettuce salad drizzled in garlic flavored olive oil with some shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled over top, and accompanied the chicken main dish with some creamed carrots that I made from scratch with canned sliced carrots. I also cut some of the butter with that fabulous garlic olive oil, though I couldn't taste it in the finished product. (That isn't saying much. It takes a lot of garlic for me to be able to really taste it.) Ooh, also, also I used freshly dried parsley from my own parsley plant, step one in my attempt at having a baby herb garden.

Though the chicken did taste a bit salty, I didn't mind as it made up for the surprisingly bland (this time) carrots. It isn't often I get the chance to make a complete meal from scratch, and this one was extremely satisfying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment