Monday, September 19, 2011

Hill of Beans

A little while ago, I purchased a can of bean salad from Meijer out of curiosity. Traditionally, I make my own from scratch with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic and occasionally some spices. In addition to an array of beans that change pretty much every time I make it, I sometimes also add a can of sweet corn. (It's tasty, trust me.) 

So last night when I wanted to bring a side dish to game night, I pulled out the can of bean salad, which ended up tasting "meh" at best. So I added one can of cannellini beans and one can of green beans, tossed, tasted and still thought it tasted pretty meh. In went the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder (because that's all I have), and a dash of salt. Flavor went way up! I sealed it all together in a Tupperware container and set it in the fridge to chill and marinate. 

I am not as satisfied as I would have been had I made it from scratch and let it marinate overnight, but for a "Quick! I need something!" dish, I think it turned out all right. Kimmy decided that she did not like bean salad cold and would like to heat it up, but she hasn't done that yet, so I cannot report on its resulting flavor. I suggested to her that if we have a can of corn, she add that to the mix. (I swear, corn in bean salad is really tasty!) 

I do lament not having the garlic olive oil on hand. That would have been a smashing addition! Perhaps next time, when I definitely will buy all the beans separately and do this thing up right. Yeehaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment