Thursday, September 8, 2011

You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish

At work yesterday, we had a rather interesting demo item that caught my attention: canned tuna in olive oil with wasabi mayonnaise, dried cranberries, and roasted whole cashews. The combination of spicy from the wasabi mayo and sweet from the cranberries made for an interesting, not all together unpleasing contrast in the mouth. I am still not a fan of wasabi, so if I were to make it myself (and I probably will because it was darn tasty), I would substitute conventional mayo and perhaps a dab of mustard for a tang, but no sinus-clearing bite.

This fancy tuna salad reminded me of chicken salads I have had in the past. (At Tea Haus in Ann Arbor, they offer a chicken salad made with curry and raisins that I think might also translate well to tuna, and I intend to try it one of these days.) I never would have thought to put cashews in tuna or chicken salad, though, so I decided to see what suggestions the internet had for tuna salad.

The first recipe I came across is posted over at Allrecipes and includes chopped celery, which I have seen in chicken salad a number of times, but I don't think in tuna salad. Aside form the celery and tuna, I believe I have all of the ingredients for this one, and when I head to Meijer tomorrow to buy cat litter, I may pick up these two ingredients. (And bread. I'm fresh out of that, too.)

Cooks.com has an intriguing, rather involved suggestion for a tuna fish sandwich that promises to be "magic." Minus the jalapenos, I'm totally down. Green onions, bean sprouts, white mushrooms, oh my! And let's not forget the lettuce, tomato, and cheese. (Heck, I'd eat a lettuce, tomato, and cheese sandwich all by itself!)

Of course, no internet adventure is complete without a trip over to Wikipedia, where we learn that "[i]n the United States, 52% of canned tuna is used for sandwiches," and that tuna salad may also be prepared with olive oil, salad cream, or yogurt in place of mayonnaise. Interesting, but I think I'll be sticking to my good old natural, non-wasabi infested mayonnaise for the time being. But if any of my readers are into spicy/sweet, I say give this one a try! If you don't like tuna, I am sure you could substitute chicken. 

Dang, now I need to go add "canned tuna" to my shopping wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment