Thursday, October 6, 2011

Brussels Sprouts... with Cheese!

I discovered a few years ago while living in California that I actually like Brussels sprouts! When smothered in cheese. Otherwise, I find them actually a bit too peppery for my taste. Still, I generally like them, and sometimes buy a pound to keep in the freezer.

Brussels sprouts are a member of the cabbage family that date back possibly as far as ancient Rome. They contain high amounts of vitamins A and C, folic acid, and fiber. At this time of year, yay for vitamin C! Brussels sprouts also fight cancer, and I am always about that battle.

For whatever reason, my body has been craving vegetables lately, so I decided when I got home from work the other night that I would finally cook up that frozen bag of sprouts that had been hanging around for more than a couple of months. (Right next to the spinach.) 


I found a few recipes online for Brussels sprouts in cheese sauce, some I could have even cooked with what I had on hand, but each required nearly an hour of cooking, which my tummy was not willing to wait for. So I decided to throw the whole one pound bag of frozen whole sprouts into a large frying pan with some olive oil and let them thaw/cook. When they were about halfway done, I sprinkled on garlic powder, salt, and a little bit of black pepper, then let them finish cooking. Turning off the burner, I took three squares of sliced Muenster cheese - my favorite! - and lay them over the sprouts in the pan. Once the cheese was melted, I stirred it all together so the sprouts were thoroughly covered, then scooped them into a bowl and chowed down. 

I think the sprouts cooked for a hair too long as they were just a bit too soft, but this is the first time I've cooked them in a pan (I usually steam them in the microwave), and I wasn't quite sure how to tell they were finished. Well, other than repeated poking, which is more or less what I did. 

Hopefully I can make Brussels sprouts in cheese sauce sometime, but it will probably have to wait a while. So many recipes to conquer! And there's an acorn squash sitting on my counter that is asking to be next.

2 comments:

  1. The only time I've ever enjoyed Brussels sprouts was when a friend cooked them for me. There were some herbs and spices, and chopped walnuts- and the entire shebang was sauteed in bacon grease. I was a pretty strict vegetarian at the time, so that wasn't exactly welcome news to my ears. It's still the only time I've ever liked them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until you said "bacon grease," I was totally down. I'm not a vegetarian, but I have a hard time digesting pig products. :/ I am sure I could make this with olive oil, it would just taste different.

    ReplyDelete