Friday, October 28, 2011

Dinner's Ready!

Since I haven't been feeling very well, my appetite has been almost nil, and I am still not doing a lot of cooking. There is an acorn sitting on my counter (still) that I don't think is ripe yet, but it's hard to tell.

Friday was my day off, so after getting cider and donuts, picking out two pumpkins to carve on Sunday, and a bit of shopping, Kimmy and I returned home, put on my VHS of Legend and she made baked lemon pepper chicken strips while I made Zatarain's red beans and rice. We decided we needed an actual vegetable instead of just a starchy side dish, so I also microwaved some broccoli sprinkled with garlic salt. And then I thought I might add some shredded cheddar cheese for extra flavor.

I was pretty happy with this meal when Kimmy made a brilliant suggestion: sprinkle cheddar cheese on the red beans and rice. She also put cheese on her lemon pepper chicken, but I decided to leave that dish uncheesed.

Since Legend was over at that point, we next turned on Labyrinth while we feasted. And for dessert, we had Valu Time fudge swirl vanilla ice cream – I'm sorry, I mean “frozen dairy dessert” – which we bought earlier at Meijer for $1.99. It tasted like those little individual ice cream cups we got as ids at various school functions.

I also had some sweetened condensed milk in a squeeze bottle that I bought from Trader Joe's. When I was in Japan, I often had ice cream sundaes and parfaits with sweetened condensed milk drizzled over-top, and it was delicious! I've only ever seen it in little cans before, which is mostly useless since all recipes I've ever used that called for sweetened condensed milk only asked for a few tablespoons. So not only can I use this on ice cream (probably its main purpose), but should I come across (or seek out) recipes that require condensed milk, I'll have just the right amount!

No comments:

Post a Comment