Monday, October 3, 2011

Garlicky Spinach with Almonds and Polenta

My roommate Kimmy has recently had an interest in Brazilian food, which I did back in March. I don't have the money to do a full grocery shopping trip yet, so I am still in the process of using what I find in my kitchen, which includes a pound of frozen spinach. This brought to mind the garlicky collard greens that I made, so I thought that I would make a variation of that. 

First I set 2 tablespoons of butter to melt in the large skillet with some olive oil drizzled around it, because butter and olive oil is freaking delicious. Then I added a generous sprinkling of garlic powder, followed by the remainder of my dried onion pieces, and splashes of salt and pepper. After the onion bits browned, I added a handful or so of slivered almonds that I totally forgot that I had!

Apparently slivered almonds brown quickly when simmered in butter and olive oil, and they sadly became a little too done. But everything mixed together with the spinach (and let to simmer more while the spinach thawed and cooked) was otherwise quite lovely. If/when I make this again, I'll have to keep a closer eye on everything as it cooks. Fresh spinach would probably also be a better choice since frozen spinach tends to turn out on the mushy side.

A few weeks ago, I bought a thing of polenta on sale at World Market because it was super cheap and I had never had polenta before (that I could think of). I didn't want to get too fancy with it for my first try, so I ended up slicing it and frying it in olive oil to go with the spinach and almonds mixture. Ended up being a llittle bland, but not too bad.

Not the best lunch I've ever had, but I did succeed in using the odds and ends of my kitchen once again to make two interesting dishes. I think the polenta would be a wonderful ingredient in a dessert, and intend to look that up later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment