Monday, October 10, 2011

More Rogue Cookery

At this point I am pretty sure that I can make food out of the most disparate ingredients hanging around a kitchen. Recently, I took a trip to my mother's house in Kalamazoo, which took about an hour and forty minutes due to traffic, and by the time I arrived, I was hungry. 

If there is one thing I can always count on finding in my mother's kitchen, it is pasta! Lasagna, spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, macaroni, and egg noodles were all present. I picked fettuccine. Sure, there was half a jar of pasta sauce in the fridge, but there was also mayonnaise and an open bag of frozen peas in the freezer. I found a can of tuna in the cupboard, but decided against it. I also left the unopened bag of frozen corn alone, since that would just be so much more starch.
I learned from reading the bag of peas that peas are high in vitamin C. Wha? The internet confirmed it. Peas are also high in fiber, iron, and a dozen other nutrients. Sweet! (They're that, too.) So I tossed the frozen peas into the pot of water, then added fettuccine when the water finally started to boil. (What do you know, a stove that takes longer than mine!) 

To the completed pasta, I added a scoop of mayonnaise for both flavor and as some moisture. But wait! You may be saying. Isn't mayonnaise really bad for you? Not really, no. For one, it's not chemical soup that is going to make your insides rot and lead to an early death. Second, it's a good source of vitamin E, which has been linked to a lower risk of stroke.

After that was all stirred together, I drown it all in a grated Parm-Romano blizzard for deliciousness and some added protein. The cheese melted once it was mixed into the warm pasta, and the mayo helped keep it from clumping.

And there you have it, another thrown together dish that was yummy, short on ingredients, and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment