Monday, October 17, 2011

One of the Most Horrible Things I Can Imagine

A customer came in tonight and bought three packages of bacon ends and pieces. When asked what she was going to do with them, she answered that she was making bacon jelly, which she further stated she intended to spread on hamburgers. (A manager also suggested spreading it on grilled cheese sandwiches.) I was, well, horrified. Bacon jelly!? We speculated later that it must be similar in preparation to the pepper jelly that we sell. Simmer the bacon pieces down to a fatty goo, then make jelly out of it, I suppose. 

After a good amount of searching on the internet, I came across a blog post about bacon jam, which is close, but not quite the same thing as jelly. The primary difference between the two is that jam is made from the whole of the edible bits of usually fruit, but I guess in this case, the entire slice of bacon. Jelly is made from the juice, or greasy fat juice from cooing down the bacon. I cannot find a recipe for bacon jelly, only bacon jam. Perhaps the customer meant jam and not jelly, or she is knowledgeable enough about jellies or has a recipe that has yet to find its way onto the internet. 

I guess I can see the appeal of a bacon spread for a cheeseburger or hamburger, but other than that, I am somewhat horrified by the thought. I think I prefer my bacon whole and unsugared. Also in turkey form as I have trouble eating pig products. 

I realize this wasn't me making anything, but this is a food and word blog, so I am allowed to just write about random things that come my way as well. If anyone has a bacon jelly recipe, please post it in the comments. I am intensely curious how this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment