Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies and Cyber-seeds

Long ago, I remember making sugar cookies from Bisquick. I don't have Bisquick now, but I did have Trader Joe's pumpkin pancake and waffle mix which is kind of like Bisquick, but pumpkin flavored. So I decided to give it a go and looked up Bisquick sugar cookie recipes online. 

I chose this one to follow, but substituted butter for shortening because I don't believe in using shortening so never keep it around. I also used half & half instead of milk because I need to use it up before it goes bad. Of course, I used the pumpkin mix rather than Bisquick, and I left out the nuts because that sounds disgusting to me. I didn't have time to chill the dough, so I also ended up adding an additional 1.5 to 2 cups of flour at the very end to thicken it up. I don't think this affected the flavor at all, though it did lighten the orange tint to the dough a bit. 

The bones of the skull and crossbones didn't want to come out, so I ended up making a lot more cauldrons and beakers/turkey legs than skulls. The first batch ended up a little burned because the recipe's recommendation on baking time was about 3 times too long. I decided I'll just save those cookies for my grandfather when I see him next week. This is what my mother and I always did when I was little because my grandfather prefers his food to be burned (unless it's beef, in which case he likes it still mooing). We speculate this is because his mother had a woodburning stove and blackened everything, thus he was raised on well-done food. 

While the cookies were cooling, waiting to be decorated, I separated out the pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin mush of the Cyberkin that I had carved for the jack-o-lantern contest at work. (I had wanted to do something geeky, but a dalek pumpkin seemed too complicated in the few hours I had to carve it, and I rather prefer cybermen anyway, so I made a cyberman pumpkin instead. For the non-geek, both daleks and cybermen are from the BBC series Doctor Who.) 

I usually prefer to let my pumpkin seeds dry overnight, or at least give them a few hours, but again, I was short on time, so I laid them out on paper towels to soak up as much moisture as possible after washing off the remaining pumpkin guts. Then I spread them out on the cleaned cookie sheet, set the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkled salt over the cyberkin seeds and put them in to bake for a little over 10 minutes. My oven is not the greatest, so the seeds on the outside turned brown and crispy and the inner seeds stayed a little on the mushy side. Still a pretty tasty snack, though, and packed with protein

I hope everyone has a glorious Halloween! Happy haunting from CK and the Cyberkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment