Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole

I can't believe it's November already! In a job like mine, that means one thing: Thanksgiving. Since I haven't made anything new lately, I thought that I would kick off the season with a recipe I did two Thanksgivings ago.

One of the guest's at my Thanksgiving dinner was lactose intolerant, so I decided to see if I could make a green bean casserole milk free. The usual way of making green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup would not work, so I had to search harder for a new recipe. I found it on the Food Network's website, Alton Brown's Best Ever Green Bean Casserole.

If you read the ingredient list, you will see that it calls for half and half. Obviously, this wouldn't do, but I knew that Trader Joe's sold a dairy free soy creamer, so I picked some up, gathered my ingredients together, and dove right in.

Making green bean casserole from scratch is really not as complicated as it may seem. I did cheat a little by skipping the French onions from scratch, using pre-made canned onions instead, but the point was not to make green bean casserole from scratch, but to make it dairy free, which the canned onions were. I also used a butter substitute rather than actual butter.

As I said, this process was really very simple, and didn't take much time at all. (Not nearly what I feared it might, anyway.) The resulting casserole was heavy on the mushrooms, which I found wonderful! But I am a huge fan of mushrooms, so if you don't like mushrooms, maybe green bean casserole from scratch is not for you.

But! If you ever need to make a dairy free or vegan green bean casserole, this is totally the recipe for you. Just substitute vegetable broth for chicken, and it's as vegan as you please.  

No comments:

Post a Comment