Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanksgiving Special (Early Edition)

Since I was informed that my family is having a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year, and we've been getting in all kinds of Thanksgiving fare at work, I decided to make a small Thanksgiving-esque dinner for myself and my roommate Kimmy a couple weeks early. Also, this is my 100th blog entry, so I wanted to make it something big!

1/4 cup butter, 4 cups water,
seasoning packet
The first thing I did was buy a box of Trader Joe's cornbread stuffing and a tub of stuffing starter mix, which has cut up celery and onions with herbs mixed in. The box of cornbread stuffing also has an herb packet, so it was very herby and delicious when I mixed it all together in the pan. The steps for the stuffing casserole went like this:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Pour 4 cups of water, ¼ cup of butter, and the cornbread mix's seasoning packet into a glass bowl and microwave for about 5 minutes until butter is melted
  3. Spread cornbread croutons and stuffing starter mix into a large casserole dish, mixing carefully
  4. Pour microwaved liquid mix over dry mix in casserole dish, mixing very carefully until croutons are moistened
  5. Bake for around 35 minutes
croutons & stuffing starter mix
I didn't have the money to buy turkey, sadly, so instead I took six chicken tenders out of the freezer, placed them in a frying pan of butter, parsley, celery salt, and garlic powder simmering in some water. When the chicken was cooked through, I added flour to the broth to thicken it into a delicious gravy.  

chicken, 1/4 cup butter, water, garlic powder,
parsley, celery salt

Happy Thanksgiving!
I do believe this is one of my tastier dinner creations. With the addition of the baked acorn squash that I had made previously, I felt I had a solid, well-rounded meal. The chicken tenders provided more than enough protein for my day, and squash is high in antioxidants. (Also vitamin A, so expectant mothers, please take note and monitor your intake carefully.) 

Since stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish, the leftovers did not last long in my refrigerator, alas! I guess that means I will just have to make more. Oh darn! Next time, I may add some Michigan-grown dried cherries for my sweet tooth and in honor of my home state, which not only supplies most of the tart cherries in the US, but squash, as well. (Mm, I live in a tasty state.) 

One more blog entry before it is Thanksgiving for reals! I wonder what I should make next.

No comments:

Post a Comment