Monday, December 19, 2011

The Happiest Season of All

Unlike last year's cookie baking adventure, it was neither cold nor snowing when I had to walk to work to pick up the key ingredients that I was missing to make my gingerbread cookies. (I told you this would be a theme.) I did, however, need flour once again! No, that bag did not last me the entire year. There was at least one other bag in between then and now. I also needed butter, and this year, I have a microwave to melt it in! And fancy new smoke alarm detectors that have an off button I can push just in case the oven does start smoking.

Since the cookie dough had to chill for an hour in the fridge, I decided to simultaneously make dinner, more white chicken chili. Unfortunately, well into the chili cooking process, I realized I didn't have any cans of green chiles! So I ended up coming home from the store with one bag of whole wheat flour, two cans of green chiles, and a thing of butter. 

Guaranteed not to break!
...It broke.
Halfway through opening the second can of green chiles, the unthinkable happened. The freaking can opener broke! It was a hand opener (I haven't invested on one them new-fangled electric ones yet), and one of the metal pieces went flying under the toaster oven while the two main pieces fell apart in my hand... 

It's a good thing I have two of them! That could have been quite the disaster as I did not want to fight the crowds and drive to Meijer tonight. Thus dinner was saved and the cookie dough was assembled and put in the fridge to chill.

While moving things around in the fridge to make room for leftover chili, I discovered a little ball of sugar cookie dough leftover from when Kimmy made cookies a week or so ago. So I pulled that out and rolled it out with the rest of the gingerbread dough. I also used the leftover frosting we'd stuck in the fridge from the hexen haus. Since it dried solid on the house, I am hoping it will do the same on the cookies so I don't end up with smooshed frosting when I am forced to layer the cookies for easy transportation.
I think that I shall let the cookies thoroughly cool overnight and decorate them tomorrow when I am not working. It shouldn't take long as it isn't a large batch. In the meantime, I shall enjoy the sweet, spicy scent of gingerbread in my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment