Thursday, December 22, 2011

Spinach Cheese Concoction

As usual, I am going through my cupboards, trying to use up the miscellaneous items that have been sitting around a while. This time, I pulled the half bag of frozen spinach out of my freezer and wondered what I could do with it.

The first thing I did was spray my large frying pan liberally with canola oil and dumped in the frozen ball of spinach with the burner on medium. After sprinkling in some garlic salt (because it's tasty), I spent some time breaking up the icy ball and spreading the spinach around so it would thaw evenly.

Satisfied that the spinach was ice free, I poured in maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk and stirred that into the spinach thoroughly. I then sprinkled over-top some flour to thick up the mixture, essentially making creamed spinach. 

And then came the most delicious part: the cheese. Once the creamed spinach was all mixed together, I shook out about three handfuls of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stirred that together, as well, mixing in one handful at a time. 

You can eat this as a side dish or a main dish, as I did, since I wasn't very hungry after a long day at cookie-laden work. It can also be a simple spinach dip, or you could add eggs and bake it into a casserole or quiche. Use a low fat cheese if you are trying to watch calories. 

Spinach is a super food and has been called the healthiest food of all time (though that is most likely exaggerating). It is a great source of protein, vitamins A and K, and folate/folic acid. It also has a decent amount of fiber. It helps your body fight against heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, just to name a few. 

If you've never really tried spinach, perhaps it's a plant you should look at, and if you think you hate spinach, maybe you should give it another shot, just prepared in a new way. I'm glad I did! Or I never would have created this tasty, tasty spinach side dish. In fact, I think it's the best spinach dish I've ever eaten! I'm kind of sad that it's all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment