Thursday, January 12, 2012

Greek Chicken and Lemon Couscous

Okay, I can't say this meal is "authentically Greek," but it does seem to me that the Greeks are overly fond of lemon since I have found lemon juice in nearly every recipe I have come across, and a key ingredient to this one is lemon. And happily so! I've never really cooked with lemon or lemon juice, so I am indebted to the Greeks for this pleasant introduction. This is the recipe that I followed: Greek Chicken with Lemon Couscous. And when I say followed, I really mean used as a basic guide.
For starters, rather than use chicken breasts, I finished off my bag of frozen chicken thighs, and rather than broil them, I used my George Foreman electric grill. I did coat both sides of the thighs with generous amounts of dried oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. And they were delicious! I am delighted to have found something quick, easy, and tasty to do with chicken. (Since I don't generally eat, and even more rarely prepare, red meat, it is important to have a lot of ways of preparing chicken in my repertoire.)

When preparing the couscous, I had to make a few alterations because I was making this meal with only items that I had on hand. Thus, I did not use lemon rind, lemon slices, nor oregano sprigs. I did use three tablespoons of lemon juice stirred in with the 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth in which I boiled the couscous, but it came from a bottle in the fridge. I skipped the margarine all together (not even substituting butter), and used pretty much the rest of my parsley flakes. (I use a ton of parsley in my cooking.)

The lemon juice made the couscous delicious! I don't usually enjoy couscous without oodles of chunked cucumbers, tomato, and other things, so this was a surprise for me. I did find that I wanted something more to the texture (couscous is so tiny), but the flavor was great.

I was quite pleased with how quickly and easily this meal came together! I probably should have included a vegetable of some kind, but it was only lunch, so I wanted something healthy and light, yet with enough energy to get me through the afternoon. I'll try to pack dinner with veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment