Monday, January 23, 2012

A Greek Good Morning

Like much of Europe (I've gone over Sweden already last year), the Greek people do not seem particularly interested in breakfast. In fact, they eat very similar items to the Swedes, bread and cheese (feta for the Greeks, of course) among them. A traditional Greek morning meal may also include boiled eggs, olives, and tea or milk, but usually coffee is the beverage of choice. 

Since my stomach has been very unhappy lately, the Greek breakfast suits me just fine! I often start my days with a mug of chai latte, but lately it has been straight tea, herbal or black. Simple bread, occasionally with butter, has been easy on the stomach, or a cup of yogurt, then a few hours later around 11 or so, I follow it with a snack to keep me going, which, as it turns out, is a pretty Greek, too. No cheese or spinach pie for me, though, sadly. I've been relying on high protein bars either mint cookie or cookies and cream. (I have a sweet tooth.) 

The Greek breakfast grew up in the country where people had to get out in the fields to tend crops or animals, so it was mostly quick, light, and portable, which is exactly what I've been needing for work lately. And I'll probably be following this routine for a while, until my stomach settles down anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment