Monday, January 9, 2012

Horta Vrasta

I've been looking into simple Greek vegetable dishes that I can make quickly and easily. In my search I immediately came across "horta vrasta," basically boiled greens with olive oil and lemon juice. I didn't have any of the greens they suggested easily at hand (curly endive, chard, chicory), so I decided to go back to an ingredient that I haven't had a lot of ideas for: kale. (Up to now, I've only used kale to make kale chips, which are pretty darn tasty.) 

First, I dumped the 10oz bag of raw kale into my large spaghetti pot, and it barely fit. Then I sprinkled salt overtop and filled the pot roughly 2/3 of the way full with tap water. I knew this was going to take a while to boil, so I set the stove to its highest setting. I didn't time how long it took, but I kept an eye on it and turned the stove off when the stems were tender. 

With the water drained away, I added a few tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkled on a little more salt. I didn't have a fresh lemon, but I did have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge, so I added some dashes of that, as well, and tossed it all together.

The taste was all right, but I thought it still needed a little something, so I added a bit of garlic salt. The second taste was delicious! And thus a new side dish was born. Well, at least it was new to me. And I gained another thing to do with kale! Next time, I will try to make something a little more complicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment