Monday, February 27, 2012

Strawberry Pudding (Wojapi)

I don't know if strawberries are an appropriate fruit to put in wojapi (a type of fruit pudding), but they are the cheapest frozen berry I could find at the grocery store. This website, which has both a modern way of making wojapi and the traditional way which I would like to try this summer when we have fresh berries, says to serve the wojapi warm with frybread. Though I didn't feel up to mathking more frybread, despite now having the more appropriate corn meal to make it with, I do think that warm strawberry pudding is just the right thing to enjoy on a chilly, windy day while wishing for the warmth of spring. In fact, I wrote a haiku about it.

First things first, I had to thaw the berries. I put the two 1 lb bags of frozen strawberries into a large pot of water. Then, because I'm impatient, I put that pan of water on the stove and turned the burner to medium. It didn't take long for the berries to be sufficiently thawed. I emptied out the pan, cut open the bags of berries, dumped the contents into the pan then mashed them with a potato masher. So far, so good.

To the pot of mashed berries I added 4 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. I decided to cut the recipe I found at above-linked website in half because 5 lbs of berries is a lot of berries, and I am leaving for Seattle in a couple of days, so I don't want the wojapi to go to waste while I am gone. The pot sat on the stove over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, though I wouldn't say it was boiling in any capacity.

Meanwhile, in a tiny coffee cup, I veeery slooowly (because this makes a non-Newtonian fluid) blended together cornstarch and water into a smooth, liquidy paste (rather like Elmer's glue in consistency) so that when I added it to the strawberry/sugar water mixture, there would be no unsightly chunks. 

Side Note: Cornstarch and water is one of my most favorite things to play with. It is no small dream of mine to run across a pool filled with it, like in this Mythbusters clip.

I ended up adding probably 3/4 to a full cup of the cornstarch blend to thicken the strawberries mash. What I basically ended up with was strawberry syrup, perfect for drizzling over cake, ice cream, or using as a dipping sauce. Kimmy and I ended up dipping cornmeal raisin cookies in it, and it was delicious.

If you want the recipe for the cornmeal raisin cookies, check back on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment