Friday, February 10, 2012

Why Does the Internet Fail Me?

When I picked this month's theme, I really didn't think it was going to be this complicated. Seriously, what gives? I refuse to believe the Native Americans did not eat food before the Europeans invaders arrived. 

Every recipe I have found online other than frybread involves ingredients that did not exist in the Americas before the influx of foreigners, and requires modern convenience items to properly prepare. So far, my best resources are the book pictured and linked to above (and the source of the aforementioned frybread recipe) and Wikipedia's entry on Native American cuisine

The baked acorn squash that I made last fall is probably a pretty decent example of native foods, and I didn't even think about that at the time. Squash is part of a trio sometimes referred to as the Three Sisters, the other two being corn (maize) and beans. I remember learning about this in elementary school, but I don't recall any recipes if they even taught us any (which I rather doubt). Incidentally, the Three Sisters were the feature of the "tails" side of the 2009 Sacagawea dollar coin, which I think it pretty neat!

Now, I have nothing against corn, or squash, or even beans, but there has to be more to numerous and scattered cuisines of this large continent than those three ingredients. Yes, there is also deer and other meats, but even those recipes are a little hard to come by, not to mention the meat of the animals themselves. (If you do have some venison and are interested in some ways to prepare it, I have previously made venison lasagna and venison burgers.) 

Kimmy is currently going to school with a focus on Native Americans, so she has asked one of her professors for advice on what kinds of food we can prepare. We are currently waiting on a response. Hopefully on Monday I will be better armed with things to make! The book mentioned above has more recipes, though not many, so I may try to scrape together one of those, as well. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment