Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cookies! Cookies, Everybody!

Now that I have all this cornmeal, I really should use it, right? Right. While I was looking up more Native American recipes, I came across this cookie recipe, and since I had all of the ingredients on hand - even the optional raisins (whoa) - I decided I had to give it a try.

I followed the recipe pretty much as is, but of course I didn't have any baking powder, so I used my usual substitution of baking soda and cream of tartar. The dough was very sticky, but had just enough sweet, and was just a little bit gritty from the cornmeal, rather like oatmeal cookies, but not as chunky because the cornmeal is obviously much finer than oatmeal. 

Kimmy and I agreed that there were not enough raisins, so we ended up adding more like a cup of raisins rather than the half cup called for in the recipe. The finished product was fantastic! I would definitely make these cookies again. I bet they'd be really good with chocolate chips or dried cherries, as well. Maybe even chopped nuts, though I'm not big on nuts in my desserts.

If you have cornmeal in your kitchen, and you are looking for another use for it, I highly suggest you try these cookies. Or if you just want a new cookie to eat!

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the title is reference to this hilarious Skyrim video

No comments:

Post a Comment