Monday, March 26, 2012

More Fun With Frozen Mixed Veggies

A frequent theme of this blog is what to do with vegetables to make them more appetizing. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a loss for what to bring with me to game night on Sunday, and since "side dish" was open, I decided to see what I could do with the bag of frozen mixed vegetables in my freezer. 

The first thing I did was turn on my computer and do a search for "what to do with frozen mixed vegetables." Lots of stuff came up, but I had only a few hours to prepare whatever the dish ended up being, and I didn't want to run to the store to buy ingredients. I was delighted to find this site in my search results from Weight Watchers of Australia and New Zealand. It lists 10 things to do with a bag of frozen mixed vegetables.

The one I chose is #6, couscous. I had a half empty box of couscous in my cupboard since I made a couscous salad a few months back. Here was the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone! I didn't have enough couscous to follow the recipe exactly, and boy am I glad I didn't. 

The first of my changes came with the first instruction. I didn't have any vegetable stock, or any kind of stock, so I just put 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies into a large pot with 2 cups of salted water, dried thyme and oregano, and let it come to a boil over medium-high heat. (I didn't want it to boil over as my stove has a tendency of doing lately.) 

I then poured in one cup of whole wheat couscous, covered the pot, turned off the burner and let it all sit for a good while. Once it was all blended together, I actually ended up letting it cool and served it cold rather than hot. The one cup of couscous was just right. If it had been doubled, the vegetables would have been lost! 

The concoction ran a little on the bland side in my opinion, but it turned out pretty well for a side dish I was taking to what is essentially a potluck, plus a few people told me that it tasted good. I'm trying to think of ways to improve it should I make it again. Maybe some balsamic vinegar? Tomatoes? I'm not sure.

Sorry there is no picture this time. It looked a lot like fried rice, only without the egg, and couscous in place of rice. That's something I should make again - fried rice! Maybe once I am settled in my new apartment with my bigger kitchen. (Ooh, I can't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment