Monday, April 30, 2012

Broccoli and Cheese Soup


Looks like Monday is Soup Day again! Today I will tell you how to make quick and easy cheesy broccoli soup. All you need is one can of cream of broccoli soup, a can's worth of milk or water, and shredded cheese. If you shred the cheese yourself, it melts much better into the soup, but the preshredded kind in a bag also works. I also like to add some frozen broccoli florets for added substance. I leave that up to you since it all depends on what you have on hand and what you prefer.

On this particular occasion, I did not have enough milk to add to the condensed soup, so I used water instead, though I prefer milk for a couple of reasons. Milk makes the soup creamier and I find that the condensed soup doesn't want to mix as well with water, so I spent a fair amount of time stirring the soup on a medium heat (so it wouldn't boil) in order to get it all to blend. This is when I added a small handful of broccoli florets, as well, because they need time to thaw and cook.

Once that has simmered for a few minutes, add in a few handfuls of shredded cheese. How much is really up to you. Obviously, the more you add, the cheesier the soup will be, and since I like mine really cheesy, I add a lot of handfuls. Also, the flavor is going to depend on which kind of cheese you use. Sharp cheddar is going to give you a stronger flavor than mild, etc. I've probably said this before, but I'll do so again. Cheddar works best for these kinds of soups. I've tried Mexican blend and some of the cheese just got gummy and stuck to the bottom of the pan. Mozzarella is especially good at melting into goo. I never use it for soup.

I suggest stirring constantly until the cheese is melted. Then you're done! Sometimes I sprinkle a little more cheese on top once it's in the bowl for garnish. I am of the opinion that you can't really have too much cheese. At least not in soup.

Itadakimasu!

No comments:

Post a Comment