Thursday, April 12, 2012

Chicken Legs

I realized one day that Trader Joe's sells 6 chicken legs for under $3. That's two meals for two people! Well, for me and my roommate, anyway. So I picked up a package last week with no idea what to do with them, but I knew I'd come up with something.

After squeezing all six drumsticks into my square glass baking dish (I should have used a larger one, but I didn't realize this until after I'd dirtied the small one, and I didn't want to dirty a second one), I grated on some Himalayan pink salt (it costs the same at Trader Joe's as the regular sea salt), followed by a ton a of garlic powder, curry powder, grated ginger, turmeric, the tiniest bit of lemon pepper because we were actually out of it (but the container was still in the cupboard), and possibly some other things that I can't quite recall. 

I turned the oven to 350 degrees F and set the timer for half an hour. That was not nearly enough. I think the chicken ended up baking for an hour total, and I kept upping the oven temp every time I checked it. It probably ended up at 500 degrees, maybe higher. While it was cooking, Kimmy boiled some pasta and broccoli, buttered it, and then we sprinkled grated Parmesan cheese over-top. 

The chicken turned out delicious! There was a bit of a bite to it from either the garlic or the ginger - maybe both - that wasn't overpowering and really quite nice. For being completely thrown together with no real plan in mind, I'd say our first meal at our new table in our new apartment was a delicious success. I fully intend to buy more drumsticks in the future and experiment further with the spice cabinet. Fun-fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment