Monday, April 16, 2012

Now Presenting... The Beets!

Sadly, I haven't been doing a lot of cooking in my new kitchen yet. I also lack a good number of ingredients to make anything with. I've been eating a lot of bean and cheese burritos lately, thus, tired of the same-old-same-old, I went digging in my cupboards for something different. There I found a can of sliced beets that I had mostly forgotten.

My favorite way of eating beets (that I have discovered so far) is with pasta and grated Parmesan cheese. I did not have pasta (shock!), and I wasn't feeling all that hungry, so I decided to do just beets.

First, I drizzled some olive oil in my large frying pan. I've heard that this is a terrible use of olive oil, but I love the taste of olive oil too much to stop. Also, the alternatives are a bit pricey for me. You may use whichever oil suits your fancy.

Next, I poured in a healthy amount of garlic salt, swirling the pan to mix it in a little bit with the olive oil. I set the stove to medium heat, and the pan quickly heated up. I know because when I added the beets right after, I got splashed with hot oil.

Over the beets I sprinkled dried parsley flakes, a tiny bit of dried oregano, and a few dashes of pepper. I let all of that saute for a few minutes until the beets were a darker shade of red and all seemed thoroughly cooked through.

As I said before, this dish would go great with some pasta – some penne, perhaps – and grated Parm. The natural sweetness of the beets contrast beautifully with the sharp flavor of the cheese. You could probably just sprinkle the Parm right over the beets; I forgot to try this time. I don't really know what else to serve beets with. I'm sure they'd go well with chicken, maybe fish. I am not a red meat expert by any stretch, so I couldn't say what would go well with it. I know a lot of people eat beets on salads, but I don't think I have actually tried this. I think I prefer beets warm rather than cold.

So there you have it. Another quick side dish that is super healthy for you!

1 comment:

  1. looks great mmmm yummy
    u can join us on
    http://the-oriental-kitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete