Monday, April 23, 2012

On the Bayou

When my roommate Kimmy and I were exploring our new home, Belleville, Michigan, we were surprised to find in the little downtown a Cajun restaurant called the Bayou Grill. The place is hard to miss as their is a giant alligator on the roof above the door. 

My boyfriend Greg and I decided to check it out for lunch one day. The Grill has a pleasing, casual atmosphere and two happy hours. The first is from 4pm to 7pm; the second is from 11pm to close. They seem to be involved with the community as we saw an advertisement for a murder mystery dinner theater for May 5th that I think supported the library. (I can't find anything online to confirm this; just the little blurb on the Grill's website.)

I wanted to try the Alligator Voodoo, "marinated pieces of alligator deep fried with our special Cajun breading and served with our remoulade sauce," which is found on the appetizers list, but Greg said no. Which just means I will have to go again with Kimmy who is a bit more adventurous about these kinds of things. I've never had alligator, so I am very intrigued.

I ended up ordering the Gambas al Fideus, which was comprised of angel hair pasta (my favorite kind), shrimp (also a favorite), and what I think is a mushroom sauce. There were other tasty things, but those were the highlights for me, personally. The waitress offered me fresh shaved Parmesan, and was foolish enough to leave the bowl with me. I nearly emptied it over the pasta. There are few better things in life than pasta with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese. 

I believe Greg got the BBQ Pork Po-Boy and fries. I tried the fries and they were pretty tasty. I stayed away from the pork, instead taking Greg's word for it that it was also good. The menu also offers fried catfish po-boys and fried shrimp po-boys. I would like to try the shrimp one, but only if it comes sans tails. My gambas did not, so I had to remove the tails, which was a little messy with all that delicious creamy sauce soaking everything.

The Bayou Grill isn't just for omnivores. They also have a decent variety of vegetarian selections, such as Penne a la Jardinierre, Eggplant Parmesan (one of my favorite dishes), as well as the classic red beans and rice.

Their website boasts that their food is worth the trip to Belleville, and they're probably right. Located maybe a mile or two from I-94, the Bayou Grill is an easy 15 to 20 minute drive from Ann Arbor, not bad at all for some damn fine dining and a fun, festive atmosphere. (I enjoyed the musical selections, as well.)

I can't wait to check this place out on a Friday night!


No comments:

Post a Comment