Thursday, April 19, 2012

Quick and Easy Cheesy Potato Soup

I was at Meijer buying more than I intended (as always happens with Meijer) when I came upon the realization that I have not made cheesy potato soup in a long, long time. I once made it from scratch, and it was totally amazing, but it also took all day to fully cook, and I just don't have that kind of time anymore. 

Instead, I start with a can of cream of potato soup in my medium sauce pan on the stove, add one can full of milk (you may also use water, but I prefer the milk because it adds creaminess and also protein, however little), then add a few handfuls of frozen mixed vegetables. Keep the heat at medium and stir the contents often enough that they don't boil.

Here is where I either stop and simply enjoy my creamy potato soup, or continue and add a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese. I've tried other cheeses, but cheddar is the only one that I have found that will fully melt into the soup and not end up a gooey mess on the bottom of the pan. You must stir this constantly until it has fully immersed itself. 

I changed up my usual recipe this time by adding a few sprinkles of parsley. If I had chives, I might have added those, as well. I never add salt to canned soups because they already have a stupidly high sodium content.

I think the parsley made all the difference. It was a tasty soup before, but with parsley, it was just that much better. I can't wait to experiment with the can of cream of celery next!

No comments:

Post a Comment