Monday, June 11, 2012

More Grilled Chicken and Some Tamales

Since I had the free time, I decided to cook up a bunch of chicken and save it in the fridge for future lunches. My first batch was the grilled chicken and broccoli from the previous entry. The second batch was grilled with garlic salt, turmeric, curry powder, ground ginger, and a dash of ground cinnamon. 

Although the taste was satisfactory, I think I preferred the first kind of grilled chicken. It was juicier, and I think the taste of curry on the second chicken was a little confusing to my tongue because I am used to curry being gravy-like, or at least more moist. Which makes me really want some good chicken curry now. I have some Japanese curry roux in my cupboard, so that may be happening soon.

Anyway, to accompany the second kind of chicken, I steamed some sweet corn and sprinkled on garlic powder and some sea salt. That was quite delicious! And so simple. I think I need to put garlic on more vegetables in the future.

After all the chicken was grilled and packed up in Tupperware for later in the week, I decided to cook the little  bite-size tamales that were in my freezer for dinner. This proved more difficult than I had anticipated when I bought them. I really should have read the cooking instructions before making the purchase, but they were so tasty when I tried them at the demo stand! 

I don't own a steamer, so I had to fake one using a pot of water, a metal strainer, and a slightly oversized pot lid. It was small, so I could only do about 4 at a time, and it took longer than the box said it should, but it worked, and the tamales were just as tasty as I'd remembered. 

It would be interesting to try to make tamales from scratch, but I don't know if I could do it. Maybe it's something to try someday. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment