Thursday, July 26, 2012

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole


One of my coworkers has a very abundant garden. He seems to be the only one since our customers have been complaining for weeks about how their gardens are failing, and the state of crops in this country is less than stellar. Good on him! Anyway, since he and his wife can't eat everything they're growing, he's been bringing in bags and bags of zucchini and yellow squash twice the size (or more) of the ones we sell at our store.

Over the last few weeks, I've collected two zucchini and four yellow squash. I finally got the time to make something with them this past weekend. Despite scrounging the apartment for 30 minutes or so, I couldn't find my recipe book that has a recipe for zucchini and yellow squash, so I decided to make something up myself.

First, I sliced up two yellow squash and one zucchini, and placed the slices into my largest glass casserole dish. There happened to be some fresh garlic sitting on my counter, so I took two cloves, chopped them up, and tossed those into the casserole dish, too. After drizzling on some canola oil, I stirred the veggies with the large plastic spoon that I pretty much use for everything.

Next came the spices! I ground on some Himalayan pink salt, then dashes of black pepper, followed by a generous sprinkling of dried oregano and parsley. Since the lemon juice on the previous potato casserole had worked out so well, I decided to sprinkle some lemon juice over the vegetables, too.

With my trusty plastic spoon, I stirred the veggies once again in an attempt to spread the spices and the lemon juice around. Then I filled the pan with 1/3 of water and put it in the oven at 400 degrees F. I set the timer for 45 minutes, and when it went off, I stirred the pan of veggies and stuck it back in the oven for another 15 minutes.

I made this dish for game night, but sadly became ill and had to send the zucchini and yellow squash casserole with my roommate Kimmy while I stayed at home. She reported back that they were quite tasty and even she liked them (she is not often adventurous when it comes to food, so this is, indeed, praise).

There are leftovers in my fridge, so I will just have to see how well they reheat. Also, there are still two yellow squash and a zucchini sitting on my counter, so I can always make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment