Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Well-Balanced Meal (Mostly)


When I came home from work on Saturday, I was really, really hungry, and I had a zucchini rotting on my counter. Well, that had to be cooked.

I needed protein, though, so I dumped the rest of my bag of frozen chicken chunks into the large fry pan, cooked the chicken in its own juices, then added a can of low sodium (because that's all Meijer sells now apparently) cream of mushroom soup and a handful of frozen mixed veggies.

While that was cooking, I sliced up the zucchini (throwing away the rotten bits), put them in my smaller fry pan, drizzled on some canola oil, added dashes of dried parsley flakes, garlic saly, and a little pepper, covered it, and put on the stove over medium heat.

Then, with all that sizzling away, I put a pot of water on to boil for some cappelini, or angel hair pasta for those who don't speak Italian. I've been trying to avoid carbs for a while, but when I was sick a couple weeks ago, I really just wanted some buttered pasta with grated Parm, and I didn't have it on hand, so I decided I needed to keep at least a little bit of pasta around the house for emergency purposes.

Once the chicken and mushroom soup combination and pasta were done cooking, I scooped some pasta onto a plate, then poured the combo over top as a sauce. The sauteed zucchini was served alongside as my main source of vegetable. Turns out it wasn't a bad combination. All I needed was some fruit, and this would have been a completely balanced meal. (Well, mostly.) But I did get my much-needed protein, some satisfying carb action, and probably two servings of vegetables. Not bad for being so damn hungry I would almost have eaten my own shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment