Monday, August 6, 2012

Cornbread From Scratch


A while ago, I bought some cornmeal, and I really haven't had anything to do with it, until one day last week when I was craving white chicken chili. White chicken chili really goes best with cornbread, and since I had this cornmeal, I decided to make cornbread from scratch for the first time. Luckily, the side of the bag of cornmeal has a recipe.

The first step of pretty much every baking recipe is to preheat the oven. I no longer do that with my gas oven because the thing heats up so fast, and it is really freaking hot this summer. Instead, I combined 1 ¼ cups of cornmeal, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, no baking powder because I still didn't have any, ½ cup of sugar, and a dash of salt in my large mixing bowl. Then I added one egg, ¼ cup of melted butter (salted, because I think it tastes better), a cup of 2% milk, and mixed it all together with a wooden spoon.

The recipe says not to over mix, but I really didn't get what they meant by that, so I just mixed until it seemed blended. About this time I turned the oven on and set it to 400F. I took out my glass 8x8 pan, sprayed it with cooking spray, then poured in the batter. The oven seemed right, so I popped in the pan and set my timer to 20 minutes. As usual, it took longer than 20 minutes to bake. I was waiting until it turned golden on the top, but it never really did, so I just took it out, poked at it, and deemed it finished.

The bread was a little heavy and dense, but still pretty tasty. I do wish it was fluffier, but I'm sure that was my fault for not adding the baking powder and over mixing or whatever. I made the white chicken chili while the cornbread was baking, and served the two together. Kimmy had already eaten, so she just smeared butter on the warm cornbread and indulged.

I declare cornbread from scratch a success! And once again I remind myself that I should really buy some baking powder.   

No comments:

Post a Comment