Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Pizza Tradition

While my boyfriend Greg and I were set to run errands yesterday, it occurred to me that pizza sounded really good. Ann Arbor is overflowing with pizza places (it is the birthplace of Cottage Inn), and though I have sampled a good deal of local fare, I thought I'd look for some place that I hadn't tried yet - some place that was also along the route of our planned errands. 

Turning to the internet, especially to Yelp, I found a place I couldn't recall ever seeing before, though I know I have driven past it dozens of times. It's called Pizza Bob's, and it comes highly rated. Kalamazoo has a small local fast food taco chain called Taco Bob's, so I was immediately curious about this pizza counterpart. 

The restaurant is quite small. There are two booths, a high table with a few stools around it, and a counter, much like a diner. It really does have quite the diner feel to it, which I enjoy. There is a television, as well, which is sometimes on, and sometimes muted. While we were there, we listened to big band music over the store stereo until one of the two employees decided to turn on Family Feud, a show I used to watch a lot growing up. 

They offer two kinds of pizza crust, white and wheat, and the list of toppings is more than adequate. Their mushrooms are thick, meaty slices, which made me very happy. They also offer subs, salads, shakes, and something called a Chipati that was invented at Pizza Bob's and seems to be a signature dish "often imitated, but never duplicated."

If I had to compare the pizza crust to anyone else, I'd say the crust consistency is like Papa John's, but the bottom is thin, rather like I remember Domino's being. The flavor of the wheat reminds me of Bilbo's Pizza In A Pan in Kalamazoo. What does all that mean? That Pizza Bob's is unique! (At least I thought so. Greg was less impressed, but I don't think he's as big a pizza connoisseur as I am.) 

I gathered from my time sitting at the counter, and later from the website itself, that Pizza Bob's has quite the history in Ann Arbor. The man himself was well known in his day and quite the established city figure. The restaurant has won numerous awards over the past few decades, including 3rd best pizza in the Detroit area. Pizza Bob's also runs daily specials, so you may want to check them out before deciding on what to order.

I don't think anyone could really be disappointed with Pizza Bob's. The prices are reasonable, the food is good, and the atmosphere is pleasant. The rich history adds a little smile while you eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment