Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chicken Thighs and Peas

First off, let me apologize for the quality of the pictures. My phone decided to drown itself in a gutter, taking with it all my pictures, and I activated my old phone as a replacement. The old phone seems to really, really like the color yellow, and the pictures are blurrier, despite having a higher pixel count. Sigh. Moving right along...

I bought a bag of frozen chicken thighs from Trader Joe's last week both because dark meat is a whole 50 cents cheaper than white meat, and because, unlike Meijer, Trader Joe's doesn't plump its chicken with salt water "to ensure juiciness." For this, Trader Joe's has earned my chicken loyalty. 

I wasn't sure what to do with the chicken, but I wanted to make a good amount of it so I could have packed lunches for later in the week. (My work week starts on Tuesday and ends on Saturday.) I ended up thawing the chicken first in the fridge all day, then the microwave for a bit because it takes sooo long to thaw chicken completely in the fridge. 

While the microwave was going, I put my larger frying pan on the stove over medium heat, and poured in some olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley flakes. I let this simmer for a few minutes before adding the three chicken thighs - three because I couldn't fit more than that.

The cooking process was simple. I let the chicken cook halfway through on one side, flipped it over, and let it continue cooking thoroughly on the other. I don't have a meat thermometer, so I rely on the old fashioned sharp knife to cut into the middle and make sure that the chicken is no longer pink. When it wasn't pink, I turned off the heat and there was dinner!

Since I do strive to make a "complete" meal, I grabbed an open bag of frozen peas from the freezer that was more ice than peas, and cooked them in the microwave with garlic powder. While that was going, I decided I wanted more for the peas than just garlic powder, so I scooped about one teaspoon of flour into a little cup, then added a bit of chicken juice from the frying pan, blended, added more chicken juice, stirred, etc until I had a nice, loose paste that I added back to the chicken to make sauce that I then poured over the peas once they were cooked. 

Maybe it was that the chicken came from Trader Joe's and not Meijer, or maybe it's simply that dark meat is fattier than light, but whatever it was, this chicken was quite juicy and delicious! Also, it didn't take long to prepare or cook, one of my favorite features of a meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment