Monday, October 22, 2012

Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes

On one of my rare evenings home, I decided that I needed more protein in my diet. The only two meats I have at my disposal right now are canned tuna and frozen chicken thighs. I picked the chicken and decided that I hadn't made fried chicken in far too long. This was the first time that I made it with dark meat, which definitely gave it a distinctive flavor. Still tasty, though! 

First, I thawed the chicken thighs in the microwave because that made the ensuing process a heck of a lot easier. Then I rolled the raw thighs in a small bowl of raw egg that I had scrambled with a fork. I really don't see the point in wasting the yolk by only using the egg white. 

Next, I plopped the thigh onto a plate that I had covered in Italian style bread crumbs. Yes, the same bread crumbs I've been using over the past two years - they're still good, I swear! Sometimes I have been known to mix grated Parmesan cheese with the breadcrumbs, but I did not do that this time.

Lastly, I put the coated chicken thighs into a preheated pan of canola oil - just a little to help keep the chicken from burning. When the chicken was about half cooked through, I flipped it over to brown the other side, as well. That's all! Pretty easy fried chicken, and healthier than deep-fried.

While the chicken was going, I boiled some potatoes and made mashed potatoes with the peel still on since that is where most of the nutrients are. To the potatoes, I added grated Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. In retrospect, I think I should have also added dried parsley, but the potatoes were good even without it, and a wonderful companion to the chicken.

I was sure to make enough for both dinner and a packed lunch later in the week. I really wish I had more time so I could do this more often. Buying food at work can get expensive when done too often, even with an employee discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment