Monday, October 29, 2012

Tasty Shredded Brussels Sprouts

I was inspired by the demo at work and a couple of crafty coworkers to make up this dish. I didn't have the exact ingredients they had at demo, so I improvised. 

First, I bought a bag of shredded Brussels sprouts. I could have bought a bag of unshredded Brussels sprouts for perhaps less, but I didn't want to attempt to shred them with a handheld cheese grater. My electric food processor might have been up to the task, though it is rather small and I probably would have had to cut up the Brussels sprouts in order to fit them in the food processor. Buying the bag of pre-shredded just seemed easiest.

Next, I pulled out of my cupboard the half-empty bag of dried cranberries that my mother had given me for a pumpkin bread experiment that will be described in another blog. Also found in my cupboard was a mostly empty bag of slivered almonds. The original recipe I was using as inspiration included spicy chopped walnuts. 

Ingredients assembled, I poured canola oil into my large frying pan, heated it up under medium heat, then poured in the entire bag of shredded Brussels sprouts, which really did turn out to be a lot and I had to turn them over carefully to be sure they were evenly heated. 

The Brussels sprouts weren't in the pan for too long before I added the cranberries and slivered almonds. The idea wasn't to cook everything thoroughly, just to sort of soften the sprouts so they were a little darker green and tender, and heat up the rest. 

Once it was all warm and done to my mind, I turned off the heat and drizzled some balsamic vinegar over-top, mixing it all together so the sprouts etc were coated. I had thought about tossing it all in a Tupperware with a lid and shaking it like a tossed salad, but decided I didn't need to. 

This can be served hot or chilled. I had it both ways since there was enough for leftovers for the next day's lunch. I didn't bother adding salt or pepper since I find Brussels sprouts to be naturally quite peppery. With the cranberries and nutty flavor of the sprouts and almonds, I think this would make a fine dish for Thanksgiving. Which reminds me that I need to make baked acorn squash. I might do my own version of Thanksgiving dinner pre-Thanksgiving again this year, just so I can eat all this awesome stuff. Again. Together in one sitting?

No comments:

Post a Comment