Thursday, November 15, 2012

Baked Acorn Squash Makes a Comeback

Last year, I made baked acorn squash for the first time. It was delicious! Nutty and buttery and sweet. (I used butter, baking walnut pieces, and brown sugar to flavor the squash.) I decided that this year, since I enjoyed it so much last year, I needed to make more, only this time, change it up a bit and use different toppings.

Since I wasn't following any one recipe, I first preheated my oven to 400F, later lowering it to 350F as the sticker on the acorn squash suggested. After cutting the squash in half, I added a little water to my pan and sprinkled some over the squash halves. What I forgot to do was put them squishy side down while baking them. Oops!

I don't think that could have affected the texture, but maybe since it came out very fibrous. It also might have not been ripe enough. I don't think I know enough about squash to really make an informed judgement here.  It also took longer to cook - maybe an hour. I ended up zapping my dish in the microwave for 30 seconds, too, since it still didn't seem quite done enough to me. 

My flavorings this time were butter, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Since I used brown sugar last time, I was going to use maple syrup this time. I couldn't remember if I actually had any maple syrup, though, and before I checked the fridge, I noticed the bottle of Alaskan wildberry syrup that I had yet to do anything with. So instead of maple syrup, I drizzled some wildberry syrup over the squash instead. 

The taste this time around was quite different from last time, but I still enjoyed it. I think I'd enjoy it more if the texture were less stringy (and yes, I did scoop out the innards). I was thinking that perhaps I should cook it a bit longer and use a masher to mash the squash like potatoes, and that might take care of the texture.

Probably not a flavor combination I'd make for Thanksgiving dinner, but good enough for my lunches made of leftovers. I need to eat more vegetables and such. My body demands it! So between the two acorn squashes that I have made, I think I prefer last year's, but that could just be the texture thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment