Thursday, December 6, 2012

Latkes!

I love potatoes. I especially love potatoes fried in a pan. This is why latkes - also known as potato pancakes - will always hold a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I am terrible at making them. And they look so easy! The main ingredients are shredded or mashed potatoes, flour, and egg. (I also like mine with onions.)

My first attempt was from a recipe I got off some recipe book-on-disk for the computer that my mother had. I failed so miserably at making latkes that my friend and I ended up going out to a restaurant for dinner. I don't know what went wrong! They just refused to stay together once they hit the oil. 

I tried again to make them a few years later, and this time they more or less stayed together, but they were thin and very oily. I was one sad panda, let me tell you. I just could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

Then I discovered frozen potato pancakes at Trader Joe's. Technically, they are a seasonal item, but I have yet to figure out which season since they are usually around for both Hanukkah and Passover. Which is fine by me, because I will eat them any day of the year! 

Random Trivia: Latkes are the national dish of Belarus. 

Now, I will eat latkes plain, but my favorite way of consuming them is with sour cream and chives. It took me a little time to come around to eating latkes with apple sauce dolloped on top. I can say now, though, that this is also a perfectly acceptable way to eat them. I do like to use room temperature apple sauce rather than cold out of the fridge because if the apple sauce is too cold, it makes the latkes cold, too, and cold mushy latkes are sad latkes. 

I read somewhere about latkes made with cinnamon. I don't think that sounds too bad, though I think the addition of sugar might be a bit weird. I am just too used to potatoes being on the salty side, I guess. Latkes made with carrots or parsnips and onions also sound terribly delicious. I would love to hear other people's latke suggestions!

I know it's a few days early, but I don't think that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment