Thursday, May 23, 2013

Nutella Creamsicles

My favorite place for fun new recipes is Pinterest, but to find this recipe, I didn't start out there. First, I was at the Catching Fireflies Blog, which is often full of fun crafts and cute recipes. The pictures and links to recipe and craft blogs made me think of Pinterest, so once I had exhausted Catching Fireflies, I sent my browser right over. 

I was looking for refreshing summer recipes - lemonades, cocktails, popsicles - when a picture labeled "Creamy Nutella Popsicles" popped up. How could I resist that? The blog with the recipe is located here where the recipe is called "Nutella Cool Whip Popsicles." It sounded great to me, except for one thing. 

Cool Whip, though beloved by many, is a white and fluffy chemical soup. There's a reason they don't call it whipped cream. Unless you get the creamy version, I'm pretty sure there isn't a drop of dairy to be found. Anything with the words "partially hydrogenated" printed on it makes my skin crawl and my arteries shrink in terror.

So I decided to make my own whipped cream by buying heavy whipping cream and looking up "how to make whipped cream" on Bing. (This is why I am changing the name to "Nutella Creamsicles" since they are made with real cream.) Here is the recipe that I chose: How To Make Whipped Cream on wikiHow. I like this one because there are lots of tips and even a video in addition to the step-by-step instructions.

The first step to making whipped cream is to have a metal bowl. I do not. Nor do I have plastic, which the tips section warns against, so I put a ceramic bowl that I inherited from my mother (possibly grandmother) into the freezer along with my metal whisk, then sat down to watch Doctor Who: the Stones of Blood Part Two which is about twenty minutes long.

Taking out the chilled bowl, I put in 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Lastly, I poured in the 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and whisked it quite briskly by hand with the chilled wire whisk. It was hard. 

A good tip is to "spin the handle between your palms" which mimics an electric beater. I wonder if I should have just chilled the whisk attachment to my electric beater and used that instead of my hands. But considering my arms kept getting sore and tired from attempting to Dutch braid my hair this morning, I guess my arm muscles could use the work out!

Once it was as whisked as it was going to get, I put the bowl in the fridge to chill for another episode of Doctor Who. (I know the recipe says 10 minutes, but it's really hot right now, and I wanted to be thorough.) I gave it a quick stir again before measuring out 1 cup and putting it into the ancient blender my boyfriend Greg's mother gave us. I had never tried this blender before and really hoped it would both work and not catch on fire. It succeeded in both of these goals. 

Blended with the 1 cup of whipped cream were a half cup of milk and 3-ish tablespoons of Nutella. If I went over, I don't think it mattered. There is only one speed on this blender - high - and it did it's job in about 15 seconds. I started to do a second blend, then stopped because I smelled burning. 

The recipe says this makes 3 popsicles, but it made 3.5 in my Jelly Belly brand (it was the only one they had at Meijer) popsicle mold. So I went ahead and made a second batch since I still have about a cup of whipping cream, and I had nothing else to put it with, filled all four molds and put them in the freezer. The rest of the mix went into the fridge for later use.

I left the mold in the freezer for a few hours, but when I tried to pull one out, the stick came out without any tasty Nutella-ness. I filled the molds to the point it told me to, but I think it may have been too low. I also think it's best to let them sit over night, as another recipe I got from Pinterest for strawberry puree popsicles recommended. The flavor is pretty phenomenal, I can attest to that. 

For winter, I'll continue to brew up hot Nutellas, and now, happily, I have a Nutella sumer-time treat, too! (Not that eating Nutella on pancakes or even right off the spoon isn't delicious enough.)

No comments:

Post a Comment