Friday, May 3, 2013

Sausage, Spinach, and Couscous

I collect a lot of recipes in my notebooks and on my computer that don't get made. (Or, as in this case, aren't looked at for a long, long time.) When my boyfriend Greg told me that he had a box of couscous that he didn't know what to do with, I knew I had a few tasty-sounding possibilities on hand. Since we had a few ingredients on hand already, this recipe I had for Sausage Spinach and Couscous Salad seemed the logical choice. (Actually, it called for arugula rather than spinach; Aldi just didn't carry arugula, and I prefer spinach anyway.)

The first step was to cook the couscous. It's a larger grain than I am used to cooking with - I've only ever cooked the tiny couscous - so that was a bit of a challenge. It had to cook longer and I had to add some water to it while it was cooking. 
While that was going on, I sliced up two chicken sausages and browned them in my large frying pan. I also chopped up a bag of fresh spinach, cut a handful of grape tomatoes in half, and sliced some mushrooms. Once the sausages were browned, all of the above was to be added to the frying pan. Just one catch: even my large frying pan was much too small. So out came the wok!

I basically stir-fried everything in the wok over medium heat until the spinach had cooked down a bit and the mushrooms were starting to shrink. The recipe says this salad can be served both hot and cold, but having eaten it at both temperatures, I think I prefer hot mostly because the cold sausage slices just felt weird in my mouth. Almost rubbery. A different sausage may solve that issue, or perhaps I simply cooked it too long.

Would I make this recipe again? I don't know. I dug the spinach with mushrooms and grape tomatoes, but I'm not sure how I feel about the larger sized couscous. Still, it was an all-in-one kind of meal with the meat, veggies, and grain all blended together, and it didn't taste bad. I might try it again with the smaller grained couscous, or perhaps quinoa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment