Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chicken Legs in Fig Butter and Pasta Salad

I've had this fig butter from Trader Joe's in my fridge for quite a while now. Since it still seemed good, I decided to use it as a glaze on some fresh chicken legs. Some may recall when I used this same fig butter with balsamic vinegar on chicken breasts, and also how delicious it was! 

I decided to repeat the same first couple of steps, mix a few tablespoons of fig butter with some splashes of balsamic vinegar in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring often. This melted the fig butter and blended it with the vinegar. 

Meanwhile, I filled a glass baking dish with 4 chicken legs (the package had 5, so there is one lone chicken leg hanging out in my fridge that I'm not sure what to do with yet) and poked them a few times with a sharp knife because I've noticed this helps them cook through more quickly. 

When the sauce was sufficiently saucy, I drizzled it over the chicken legs, using a rubber scraper to be sure to get all of it out of the pan, and better spread it across the legs. I baked the chicken legs in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes.

After that was put into the oven, I started boiling a big pot for bow-tie pasta, or farfalle, as Trader Joe's prefers to call it. Fun fact: "Farfalle" is Italian for "butterflies," a reference to the pasta's shape.
Also going on the stove was my large frying pan with Trader Joe's Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix, which I stir-fried/steamed for just a few minutes. Once the pasta was al dente, I drained it and tossed it in the Veggie Mix, mixing thoroughly. To this was added about half a bottle of another Trader Joe's product (can you tell where I went shopping this week?), the Tuscan Italian Dressing. Any balsamic vinaigrette would probably do, I just happen to like this one a lot because it has wonderful herbs and a sweet flavor.

The veggies are supposed to still be a little crisp. I think mine sat too long while I was assembling everything, because they ended up a little mushy. The salad was still quite tasty I thought - strangely a bit buttery - and there was plenty left over to pack for lunches later in the week.

As for the chicken legs, they turned out more or less like barbecued chicken legs, so pretty messy! I really liked the one I had. Greg must have liked them, too, since he ate the other three. This actually made me very sad. I was looking forward to having my second one for lunch later in the week. Chicken legs are one of my favorite foods. I am happy he liked them, though. I guess. Can't help noticing that I am the only one eating the pasta salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment