Thursday, August 15, 2013

Grilled Mac 'N Cheese

All right, I may have been a little misleading with the title on this one. I was trying to combine grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese into one subject. Since I picked up a number of shifts at both jobs that past couple of weeks, I haven't done a lot of experimenting in the kitchen. I am gearing up for it, though! I went to the library today and picked up a small stack of children's cookbooks. What? Children's cookbooks are my favorite kind because they are simple, easy to follow, and require few ingredients. Seriously! Check them out. Especially if you want to experiment with foreign cuisines.

It was also recently my boyfriend Greg's birthday. I picked him up a new cookbook called Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes by Laura Werlin. Greg has spearheaded a few Game Night dinners that have been dubbed "Fancy Grilled Cheese Night," and there enough recipes in this book that piqued my interest while I glanced through, that I thought we could have some fun making them at home. Our "Fancy Grilled Cheese Nights" were pretty fancy, but this book will kick it up a notch!

There was another book I was debating whether or not to get for Greg by Laura Werlin, Mac & Cheese, Please!: 50 Super Cheesy Recipes. I find this amusing because two nights ago, I came home to Greg having made baked mac and cheese for dinner. He said he took a recipe from Alton Brown, then modified it with the things he wanted, onions and turkey bacon. It was quite delicious! And another use was finally found for those panko (Japanese bread crumbs) that have been in my cupboard for over a year. (Yaaaay!!) I think this shows that Greg doesn't need a book's help to make awesome mac and cheese, so I am glad I didn't go with that one, as tasty as the recipes do look. 

If you are a fan of these two cheese dishes, definitely check your local library or book store and see if you can track these books down. The pictures are big and colorful, and the recipes are pretty straight forward. The ebooks run abut $7.69 and the physical books are $16.99. 

Cheese on, my fellow cheese-lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment