Thursday, September 26, 2013

Eggplant Zucchini and Cheese Casserole

After Greg and I visited Budd's Produce, I assembled the ingredients to make an Eggplant Zucchini and Cheese casserole. I am a big fan of casseroles. They are easy to make it and usually leave me with days of leftovers to bring to work with me for lunches. Leftovers are always my friends. 

The longest part of all this was cutting up all those giant vegetables. I sliced up one giant eggplant (also called aubergine), 2 large zucchinis (also known as summer squash), a shallot in place of onion, and 1/2 of a large tomato (feel free to use the whole thing, I was just tired of dicing). I was supposed to saute the vegetables in a frying pan before assembling the casserole. Since there were so many vegetables, I had to so this part in batches. I used the garlic sea salt grinder from Trader Joe's as a seasoning. This is probably my favorite seasoning mix right now. I put on just about everything.
While the veggies were sauteing, I prepared a box of corn stuffing mix on a neighboring burner. The oven was preheated to 350 degrees F, and I sprayed my largest glass baking dish with cooking spray. 

With the stuffing made and the vegetables sauteed for a few minutes, I was ready to layer the casserole. First went a layer of vegetables followed by a layer of stuffing. Then I sprinkled on some shredded Colby cheese, layered on more veggies and stuffing, then ended with a final layer of cheese. The casserole baked for half an hour at 350F.
I thought that I had made this casserole before, but if I did, it turned out entirely differently. This was delicious! And very filling, making it a great entree for even non-vegetarians like Greg and me. (Though I doubt the cheese I used was vegetarian, vegetarian cheese could easily be used in place of conventional animal rennet cheese.) The spices from the cornbread stuffing mix coupled with the garlic grinder made this quite flavorful, and the fresh vegetables were superb. And, being a casserole, it was easy to partition up into lunches. I loved it! This is definitely one I'd make again, especially with a fresh vegetables market being located right down the road. I love Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment