Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sauteed Chicken and Mushroom Casserole

Somehow, at some point, a group of recipe cards showed up with my recipe books. I don't know where they came from, but they looked pretty easy and, for the most part, tasty, so I shuffle them in with my recipe stuff, and there they sat for over a year. Finally, not long ago, I pulled one out, made a shopping list and made Sauteed Chicken and Mushroom Casserole for dinner one night. Here is how it was done.

First, I cut up two chicken breasts and cooked them in a pan on the stove. While the chicken was cooking, I set up my rice cooker to prepare three servings of rice, which comes out to six when cooked (the instructions are optimistic about the amount of rice I can eat), the maximum it can make. 

Next, I took the chicken out of the pan and put it on a plate to wait for a bit. An 8 oz package of fresh sliced mushrooms went into the pan with some butter. I ground on some garlic salt and added some fresh parsley from the balcony garden. 

After that cooked down so the mushrooms were mostly cooked through, I added the chicken back to the pan along with a can of cream of mushroom soup and 3/4 cup of turkey broth (the recipe calls for chicken broth, but Greg is allergic, so we substitute with turkey).

I let this mixture cook together for about five minutes on low. During that time, I scooped the rice from my rice cooker into my largest rectangular glass dish and spread it evenly with a wooden spoon. Then, I carefully poured the chicken and mushroom deliciousness over the rice in the glass dish. This baked in the oven at 350F for half an hour. 

Done! This was really easy, involved only four ingredients, minus the butter and seasonings. Of course, you could just prepare the chicken and mushrooms and serve that alongside rice or pasta rather than bake it over rice as a casserole. To round out the meal, a vegetable side is recommended. I usually just go with something simple like frozen mixed veggies. Corn also goes well with this dish, but it's technically a grain, like rice.

The best part about making casseroles is all the leftover lunches! Ya~ay!

No comments:

Post a Comment